With Halloween just around the corner it’s time to start thinking about decorating your pumpkin in an innovative and creative way!
Here is a list of items you will need:
- Fresh pie pumpkin
- Fresh floral foam
- Scissors and cutters
- Heavy plastic or re-used vessel such as a tin can or plastic margarine container
- Wood picks
- Greenery and flowers
- Halloween themed decorations: i.e. dried pods, fishnet stockings used as spider webs etc.
- Spray paint if needed.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Select your pumpkin. The size of the pumpkin will depend on how big you want the arrangement to be on your table.
- Hollow out your pumpkin so no guts or seeds are left behind.
- Use a garbage bag/ heavy plastic or vessel of choice to line pumpkin- this will allow for water to stand in bottom and allow foam to suck up water.
- In a separate bucket or sink, fill with room temperature water. Place your fresh foam on top of the water gently and let it sink to the bottom. Do not push the foam down as this will let air into your foam. You can then take the foam out of the water and cut to size of pumpkin. Ensure foam is not moving around. It is important the foam is placed in pumpkin securely so there is no chance of movement.
- Wood picks can be stuck into the pumpkin top, then into foam.
- Add greenery – as much or little as you like.
- Add flowers – colours and type depend on the theme you are doing.
- Add decorations that are suitable to your theme.
To ensure longevity for your pumpkin, it is important to do the following:
- Make sure it is not placed in direct sunlight or placed by a heat source. A cool location is best.
- Check water level daily to ensure the floral foam does not dry out.
- As flowers die off, new ones can be added to extend the life of your pumpkin.